With classes to meet the needs of a diverse range of roller skaters, find the one that is right for you. For all levels, safety gear is strongly recommended, especially knee pads, wrist guards and helmet. Rentals are available at no charge. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not able to lend out protective gear at this time.
Learn/Return to Skate – Beginner Adult 16+
You have always wanted to roller skate, why not NOW?!
Pick up (or rent) a pair of quad skates and try something new. If you are revisiting roller skating after a long hiatus, this class will get you rolling once again. This session will focus on safe skating skills to get you moving around the rink or grooving down the boardwalk.
What you can expect:
- Correct standing form so that you can move both forward and backward with confidence
- Safe form for falling and alleviating fears for when this happens
- Different strategies of stopping
- Tips for increasing speed
- Learning how to turn around safely
- Skating with rhythm to get maximum enjoyment from this awesome sport!
Skate Skills Volume 2 – Beginner Adult 16+
You know how to skate around the rink and you are ready for more. Focusing on backwards skating, crossovers, transitions, and more ways to turn and flow are all on the menu at Skate Skills Volume 2. If you have taken Learn/Return to Skate a few times or just feel like you are ready for more but still in a beginner setting, this class is for you!
Introduction to Dance Skating – Beginner Teen & Adult Age 13+
Want to dance on skates but don’t know where to begin? This session is for you. Together we’ll work on fun, easy moves for your very first steps into dance. Find your rhythm, balance, and confidence to move on up to our other dance classes and workshops. This is a great session to attend solo or with a group!
Being comfortable with basic forward skating is recommended.
Skills that may be covered in this session:
- Rhythm and timing with music
- Foundational moves, like stepping, bouncing, crossing, and turning
- Introduction to common skate dance variations and “flair”
- Getting “light on your feet”
- Basic backwards rhythmic skating (no backwards skating experience required!)
- Full-body control and moving safely to avoid injury
Dance Skating – Beginner Adult 16+
In this class, we’ll work on versions of popular skate dance moves and sequences – at a comfortable pace. By breaking down complicated moves into more achievable steps, you’ll see progress every time you practice. Learn to “control your roll” while grooving to music and gain confidence on your wheels. Effortless dancing takes a lot of practice, so let’s get moving!
Being comfortable with basic forward skating is highly recommended. Small toe stops or jam plugs are optional, but helpful for some moves.
What to expect from this session:
- Beginner introduction to moves like “downtown,” “hez,” “crazylegs”
- Footwork “on the move,” like stepping, pivots, crossovers, crossunders, edgework
- Backwards skating skills and stability, intro to steps like “the strut walk” and moonwalk
- Developing rhythm and timing: solo and with a group
- Dance skills to build up to our intermediate dance classes
Dance Skating – Intermediate Adult 16+
- Learn to skate on toes and heels
- Basics and variations of dances: downtown, zero, hez, diamond, crazy legs, grapevine, crab walk
- Turns and pivots
- On the move and middlework/in place choreography
Dance Skating – Intermediate Adult 16+
Learn the Downtown, Float On, Skater Shuffle and so many other versatile rhythm roller skating moves in this class with long-time skate legend Jerry the Skate Instructor. This class will include original choreography as well as many of the dance skate classics you have seen from your favorite jam skaters.
Rhythm & Vibe Skating – Adult 16+
If you can find the rhythm you can catch a vibe any place, any time! Skaters will be learning classic skate dances along with brand new ones, creations from Tik Tok and learning how to create your own. Vibe skating is the art of combining different styles of movement from dance and skating to bring the party, the song, the vibe to life!
Beginner and Intermediate classes alternate weekly. Beginner (1st & 3rd Wed) classes are open to all skaters. Intermediate (2nd & 4th Wed) is for those skaters who have mastery of skating forwards and backwards. Toe stop removal recommended for Intermediate but not required.
Lil Rollers – Beginner Age 4-10
This class is an introduction to roller skating for children age 4-10. Your kids will love to limbo, cannonball, wipeout, and play games while they learn with other kids their age.
Especially tailored for our young rollers, new skaters will play the hour away without even noticing they are learning the fundamentals of roller skating. Quad skate rentals are included at no additional cost.
Skate FUNdamentals – Beginner All Ages
Have you always wanted to roller skate with your friends and family but never had the time? Get ready to lace up for some all-ages fun! This class is open to all skaters beginner to intermediate. Skaters of all ages will learn the fundamentals of skating while increasing their skills and confidence. With games and fun mixed in, this class is a crowd pleaser with skaters of all ages, especially catering to families who want to learn together.
Figure Skating Basics – Beginner All Ages
Learn to skate with grace and agility through figure skating techniques. This class will include such figure basic skills as spirals, edges, jumps and 2 foot spins. This class is open to skaters of all levels and all ages. Participants must be able to comfortably skate forward moving from side to side and must be able to roller skate gliding on foot before enrolling in this class.
Find out more about each instructor here.
See the current course schedule here.