This workout is a combination of several P90X® workouts. Visit beachbody.com to purchase the full 90-Day program. This workout is meant to give you the most direct roller derby benefits. Mainly strong core strength and balance that make you better at almost every aspect of roller derby. Sneakers and a towel for sweat are a must. Yoga mat may be helpful but not required. Goal numbers are provided. If you can’t hit those numbers, perform as many reps as possible with good form.
- [30 sec] March in Place
- [45 sec] Run in Place – 15 sec w/ knees up, 15 sec w/ knees wide, 15 sec w/ heels high
- [30 sec] Jumping Jacks
- [30 sec] Run Lunges – Pulling and arm raise
- [6 reps] Side-to-Side Head Rolls – Standing tall w/ arms at sides, reach to floor & roll head from right shoulder down to left shoulder and back.
- Shakers- Shake out body
- Huggers- Hugs swinging arms behind body and switching arms
- Reachers- Reach high w/ both arms, then swing back behind body
Get Air – Plyometrics
All exercise run 30 sec. Perform each 1x and then repeat for a 2nd set.
- Jump Squat – With feet parallel and shoulder-distance apart, slowly (in a 4-count) ease into a squat. At lowest point in squat, explode up, leaping off ground and landing gently. Repeat.
- Airborne Heisman – This lateral leaping exercise starts with feet together then jump sideways. As soon as you land, bring opposite knee to chest. Pause for 2-count and then repeat on opposite side. Repeat.
- Swing Kick – Stand directly behind a chair (or an imaginary chair) and lift one leg after the other, back and forth over the chair. Place hands in air.
- Mary Katherine Lunge – Starting in forward lunge, jump straight up. Switch legs in mid-air and then land in a lunge.
- Twist Combo – Jump Up, keeping shoulders and head facing front while knees and feet twist right, then center, then left. This exercise is about speed, not height.
- Monster Truck Tires – Travel 4 big jumps forward and then 4 back as if jumping in huge tires.
- Jump Shot – Catch left and shoot right for first rep. Catch right and shoot left for second.
- Football Hero – 4 jukes forward (short/quick) and 6 high steps back.
Can’t Knock Me Over: Core
- Dive-Bomber Push-Up (8-15 reps) – Move from Downward Dog position (wide hands and feet) to an Upward Dog position. The exercise simulates going back and forth under a fence.
- Low Lateral Skaters (20 reps) – Start in side lunge. Right knee over right ankle while left leg is straight. While keeping fingertips on the floor, chest and head up and butt down, slowly shift body to opposite leg lunge. To intensify: Lift straight leg a few inches off of floor.
- Side Hip Raise (15 reps per side) – Lying on side, rest forearm on floor w/ elbow directly under shoulder. Place other hand on hip with elbow skyward. Lift body off floor w/ only forearm and foot supporting body weight. Raise hip straight up on air, push body past parallel. Keep hip off floor once you start exercise.
- Squat X-Press (20 reps) – Start w/ feet wider than shoulder and toes pointed out slightly. Go into squat with chest and head up, forearms to thighs. As you stand up, raise arms overhead in a wide shoulder press so your body forms an X. To intensify: Hold skates for weights.
- Reach High & Under Push-Up (max reps, 1 min) – Combine a standard push-up w/ a one-arm balance. While in one-arm balance, reach top arm under body and near waist as far as possible, extending hip and butt into air and then return arm back to top. Then Push up and repeat on opposite side.
- Steam Engine (30 reps) – Standing w/ feet shoulder-width apart, clasp hands behind head, keeping elbows wide. Alternate left elbow to right knee while focusing on keeping head and chest up and alternate. Like bicycle crunches, standing.
Hitting Me with Hurt YOU: Abs
Level 1: 15-20 reps, Level 2: 25 reps
- In & Outs – Sit on floor w/ hands at sides, knees bent w/ feet on the floor, raise feet off ground, bring knees in towards chest. Straighten legs back out and repeat. To increase difficulty, raise arms over head.
- Wide Leg Sit-Ups – Lie flat on back with legs spread. Place one hand behind head and bring torso up to perform standard sit-up motion. Reach other arm out to touch opposite foot. Alternate arm positions for each rep.
- Fifer Scissor – Lie flat on back, extend one leg skyward, lift opposite leg off the floor a few inches, alternate legs in scissor motion for a 3-count. Keep feet flexed through.
- Mason Twist – Seated clasp hands together and twist upper body from side to side touching knuckles on each side of floor.
- Cobra – Lie flat on stomach and raise upper body by straightening arms and pushing off floor. Keep chest up and shoulders back.
- Cat Stretch – On hands and knees, round back while exhaling and drop chin to chest, reverse move by arching back and lifting head.
- Wide Leg Bent-Over Hamstring – Stand with feet wide, bend forward at waist w/ straight legs.
Quad Stretch – While standing, grab left ankle w/ left hand and pull back towards butt. Switch.
- Downward Dog – Calf stretch
Contributing Photographer: Alda Tenorio