If every blocker could be like Rambo, then we would have one boring derby game. No jammer would ever get through the pack, no blocker could get by another blocker and nobody would ever fall.
Well because we are human, we need our fellow teammates to help us be a “little more like Rambo”. Walls of 2, 3 or 4, blockers make a much more effective defense against a jammer. Most jammers that see only one blocker to get by, don’t see it as any form of danger, they see it as just “another point”.
So my advice to you is…”Instead of becoming ‘one more point’, let’s create the great wall together and give her NO points!”
Ingredients to Build Your Great Wall
- 2,3 or 4 blockers
- Positions (what kind of wall are you going to build)
- Waterfalls (who moves out, who moves in and in what direction)
- Communication (telling your teammates what you are doing)
- Each drill is taught without jammers and/or assistance.
- Add a jammer.
- Add a jammer and assistance.
4 Skater Walls
- Spike wall (from inside to outside) w waterfalls-open up on straightaway and scrunch on turns
- 3 man wall with skater in the back (creating a path for the opposing jammer)
- 3 man walls with skater in the front (insurance)
3 Skater Walls
- Line wall with waterfalls
- Tripod with girl in back
- Tripod with girl in front turned around
2 Skater Walls
- Line wall with waterfall
- Vertical wall with waterfall
Written by: Punk N. Da’Trunk (Former San Diego Derby Doll). Edited by Isabelle Ringer.
Contributing Photographer: Alda Tenorio